Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kaula Pork

We have been blessed to have the Elders in our home every Monday night for dinner and Family Home Evening. They have been teaching Elizabeth. Such a nice spirit to have her being taught in our home. On one occasion I had asked the Elders if there was any food they were craving or wanting. Elder Burroughs if from Hawaii, shyly said (as he rubbed his tummy) that he'd love to have Kalua Pork. I had no idea what that was, but offered to make him some sweet and sour pork instead. He was happy with that. Well, I chatted on facebook with Jenn Hoopii, my companion from Hawaii, and she told me all about Kaula Pork and how to do it. She said that if I made it for the Elder that he'd be my Friend for ever. So after searching online and getting more advise and recipes, and even going to a Hawaiian restaurant my friend told me about so I could see what it tasted like, I did. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. A few hours before dinner I got the thought that I should make some cake for dessert- so ran to the store for some pineapple, and Rachel baked a pineapple upside down cake. Well, the dinner was a success. Elder Burroughs ate until he couldn't eat anymore! When we served the cake, Elder Stanley (his companion) said "go ahead- tell them!". "Tell us what?" we asked. It was Elder Burroughs Birthday! We quickly put a candle on his piece of cake, and sang to him. I am so happy that I made Kaula Pork!